Friday, February 21, 2020

Week 34: Medicine Hat!

I made it to Medicine Hat! The coolest-sounding place in the Canada Calgary mission! And I'm loving it already. I got transferred down here on Thursday which was a WHOLE process and I totally fell asleep in the van that the assistants were driving the two hours down to Lethbridge. It was awesome. And then all of the missionaries leaving Calgary met their new companions in Lethbridge and we drove two MORE hours east to Medicine Hat. And I've been here ever since!

We've had a GREAT week so far down here! On Saturday we were out tracting and we kept feeling like we maybe weren't exactly where we needed to be, so we were praying and looking at our map and trying to figure out where to go. We finally made it to this one street that we felt pretty good about and went to stop by a former, but she wasn't home, so we went tracting down her street and right when we finished we were walking by her house and her light turned on! So we knocked on her door and she took a Book of Mormon and said she'd love to learn more and come to church! It was awesome and we knew that we needed to be on all of those other streets so that we could be there when Jodi got home.

We had a pass-off lesson with this cute ladies from Honduras in our area and one of our elders who speaks Spanish, so we sat there for an hour and a half and didn't understand anything that was going on, haha. It was super awesome because we could feel the Spirit testifying of truth even though we couldn't understand the words that were being said. And this cute old grandma, Laura, is so prepared to receive the gospel! She's been reading the Book of Mormon and says she doesn't believe that Joseph Smith could have written something like that without being inspired by God. She's awesome!

On Sunday night we had a lesson with this lady Lana who lives in the trailer park. We were supposed to meet her at 7:30 but we decided to go see this cute little girl Quinn first and ask if we could teach her more about the gospel (we went back to see her yesterday and she's so awesome! We talked about the restoration and the Book of Mormon and she said the sweetest prayer and told us she's going to invite her friends from the trailer park to our next lesson. She's such a baller!). Anyway, we ended up being 15 minutes late to our lesson with Lana and we knocked and rang the doorbell and nobody answered so we tried calling her and she didn't pick up but we got a call back from a private number and it was her. She was repeating something over and over and she's kind of hard to understand, but we figured out that she was saying "don't come anymore" and our stomachs SANK. I looked at Sister Bueno and I was like "we've got to get out of here" and we BOOKED it to our car and out of the trailer park. We didn't feel normal again until we made it to the church to set up appointments. It was the worst feeling I've had on my mission. 

I had an awesome first Sunday in Medicine Hat! The elders quorum president in my last area's parents live in this ward in Medicine Hat, so I'd actually met them before I got here, and their grandkids were at church on Sunday! It was funny because I had dinner with them LAST Sunday. So I got lots of hugs from their little girls. And we found out that the family we had dinner with this week knows some people from my home ward! It's a small small world.

Alma 26:12 says "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." I love Ammon, especially as a missionary, because he's such a good example of conversion and hard work and love for the people he teaches. And he understands his purpose as a missionary and a disciple of Christ.

Have a great week and keep on keepin' on! Talk to you next time!

Love,
Sister Willis

Pictures! Of us freezing to death and my last companion and all the trash in our apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment