Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Week 39: Things Fall Apart


The title of this email is also the title of a book they made us read about colonialism in Africa when I was in 7th grade (or, as they would say here, "grade 7"). This email will probably be more entertaining than the book but that's just my modest opinion.

We are "working from our apartments". But they never really told us that. They just slowly took away all of our other tools until the only reason we could leave our apartment was to go on walks! We go on LOTS of walks. It ends up being okay because lots of other people are also on walks, so we can talk to them as long as we stay 6 feet away! #socialdistancing! We are BLESSED because our members are still bringing us food and literally an HOUR before we got the email on Thursday saying we can't go into people's homes we got a text from a lady in our ward asking if we wanted a STACK of church movies. Of course we said yes! Tender mercies!

We've been doing our very best to adapt to "working from our apartments". We've been doing lots of lessons over video call and a few over phone call, which is a little harder because you can't see anyone's face! Our friend Jasmine got tonsillitis and she couldn't talk, so we recorded some videos of us teaching principles and sent them to her! We love technology!

We're still allowed to volunteer in the community, so we've been building food hampers at the food bank. Over the weekend they got super concerned about social distancing, so we brought all the food and boxes outside and had to stay 6 feet away from each other. We tossed a lot of food. It was an experience for sure. But they're so nice to us! They always tell us that when we come there's nothing done and by the time we leave there's a stack of hampers! I told them it's because we're miracle workers but I'm not sure they believe me 😋.





We were supposed to be going to members' homes to take the sacrament on Sunday but then we weren't supposed to go to members' homes at all so we got to have missionary sacrament meeting! It was actually amazing to be able to first of all, take the sacrament because we haven't been able to for four weeks, and also to hear all of the missionaries' testimonies! It was probably one of the most spiritual sacrament meetings I've ever been in. The elders and sisters I serve with are all such great examples to me of faith and devotion, ESPECIALLY in our constantly changing circumstances. They give me motivation to keep going! We're not supposed to use the chapel for anything other than sacrament meeting, but missionaries are really good at devising ways around rules like that so we backed all of our cars up to each other and sat in our trunks and had a picnic! It was a good time before all gatherings were like, banned forever!

And that brings us about up to date! I'm on the verge of insanity and my new pastime is playing Mexican Train dominoes! Which is kind of upsetting. But we're going to make it through! One of the sisters in Medicine Hat is going home today, so we've been partying it up in a trio for the last 36 hours. It's been helping a little bit with my insanity.

2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." I know it's easier to talk the talk than walk the walk but in times like these I am grateful for the spirit of power and love and a sound mind! It's been amazing to see the community I live in and the missionaries I serve with come together and find strength in God to overcome this obstacle. I hope that everyone is healthy and safe and finding things to do at home!

I love you all!
Sister Willis

1 comment:

  1. Sister Willis, you are a light to many and I really enjoy your updates. I'm sorry to hear things are so Boring!, but glad there has been some fun in there too. I take heart in knowing so many good people are doing so many good things to help, serve, and uplift. You are where the Lord wants you to be and doing what He want you to do. :)

    ReplyDelete