Monday, November 25, 2019

Week 21: new comp who dis

All of the missionaries in the North with Elder Nielsen.
Sister Fetters and I are in the middle because we are the tallest sisters in Calgary!
Hello my friends! This week is TRANSFER WEEK, which means that last night we almost threw up while we were waiting for transfer notices to come out! My new companion is Sister Magno and she's coming up from Taber, which is like, two and a half hours southeast of Calgary! A fun fact about my mission is that missionaries in the north (aka Calgary) and missionaries in the south (aka everywhere else in southern Alberta) NEVER see each other because it's too far to drive, so everything is separate for the north and the south. Everyone who knows her says she's great, so I'm excited :)

Last week, Sister Fetters got sick, and then she got even sicker, so we spent all of Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday sitting in our apartment while she was recovering. I read... a lot of scriptures and tried to drink enough Emergen-C to intimidate whatever virus she had, which I think worked because I didn't get sick! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way! Pray for my immune system! I cancelled all our dinners because Sister Fetters was on her deathbed (like, pretty literally, she wanted to be euthanized) so I spent the week eating through all of the food in the house and taking some looong naps. We love missionary work! I also read the whole new white handbook (which is no longer white!) and it was super fun & funky. Check it out on the gospel library app under missionary >> missionary training >> Missionary Standards for Disciples of Jesus Christ!

On Thursday night, we spent three hours waiting in a walk-in clinic to see a doctor and most of it was a battle between my dumb lizard brain, which wanted to watch Dr. Phil on the tv, and my one remaining righteous brain cell, which wanted to keep reading D&C 76 because Elder Nielsen promised us that if we studied all the scriptures in the boxes in Preach My Gospel we'd be scriptorians. I mostly held out until the lady at the front desk switched on Jeopardy, at which point I entirely gave up on studying and just tried to guess the answers with the old lady next to me. I got, like, three of them right. I think my grey matter has decayed since I've been out here because my memory and my ability to read out loud are, uh, suffering. But it's fine! It'll all come back eventually! I hope!
District Picture
Yesterday was the saddest day of my life because I had to kill my companion! Aka drop her off at the mission home! We listened to all kinds of depressing end-of-mission music that I'm too young for on the way there, and then we loaded everyone's luggage into the trailer and gave hugs and left! I did steal back my mug that I accidentally left at the Keungs' house when we were living there and that they'd since put with their collection of mugs on their mug tree, so that made it worthwhile, but it was so sad! I was not a fan! I want my comp back! Right now I'm with another sister whose companion also goes home today, and we're hanging out in our areas and covering all of our wards until we get our new companions tomorrow, so that's fun and crazy times.

I'm sure it's not surprising to anyone that it is SNOWING in Calgary (part 100!) It snowed all day yesterday and there are like 6 inches of snow on the ground right now. It's okay because we're going to #lighttheworld by shovelling everyone's driveways for them, but I slip on the ice and fall flat on my face while tracting! Twice! I just went down mid-sentence. I'm sure it made a lasting impression on whoever may have been lucky enough to see.

I was reading in Alma 19 today, which is a baller feminist chapter where first King Lamoni's wife gets told that she has more faith than any of the Nephites and then my FAVE, Abish, gathers all of the people and like, raises the queen from the ground! It was awesome! I love it!

I'm like, mostly caught up on Come, Follow Me from the 5 days that I was straight chillin' in our apartment, so this week I read James 1 and OBVIOUSLY I like verses 5 and 6 but I also really like verse 27! It says "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." Remember to love God and love your neighbor and you'll be all set!

I love you all! I hope you have a great week and that it's not too cold! Stay warm!
Sister Willis




No comments:

Post a Comment