Thursday, August 8, 2019

Week 6: Has the day of miracles ceased?

Sis. Willis & Sis. Bangura with a member they bike downtown to read the Book of Mormon with.
Moroni says that it has not, and I have to agree! On Friday I was trying to open a jar of pickles for like 5 minutes and I was Very Frustrated and about to cry and so I said one (1) prayer about the jar of pickles and guess what! I twisted it and the lid popped open! So it's true! God is an unchangeable God and He cares about your pickles!

On a more serious note, last week we had some CRAZY miracles. Our zone is really small because it corresponds to the Calgary YSA stake and so there are only 6 companionships, but last week we set a goal to find 45 people to teach in August, which is a lot, like 10 more than we've been finding, and so we made plans to read about finding every day and spend more time talking to people on the streets and knocking doors and to fast as a zone to be able to find the people who are prepared, and last week we found ... 24! That's a lot of people! That's 20% of the people our mission found this week even though we're only 6% of the companionships. Our district leader played Living on a Prayer at district council because we're halfway there, and it's totally approved music because the whole song is about finding by faith. Or that's what we said, anyway.

Selfie!
On Monday we had exchanges! I was so so scared because I'm always scared about new things, but it was just like (excuse this very niche reference) the part in The Errand of Angels where she goes on exchanges with her bff comp and her whole perspective changes because of the things she tells her? That was me! I went in about ready to go home and by the time we were done I was PUMPED to find some people to teach, so it was a good time. We also got Popeye's, so there was no way the rest of the day could have been bad.

On Monday night we went to a pool party for FHE (which was really fun because everyone was in the pool (obviously) and we were on the pool chairs in church clothes (because missionaries), so we slipped out once the person we're teaching was securely into a game of spikeball with a group of guys his age) but this girl asked me what my name was and I said Abby! rip! I wanted to die!

I also forgot my name tag while we were doing stop bys once this week :( I tried to cover my shoulder with my hair so no one would know but I'm sure the members noticed and were like... this dumb fool! Or maybe they thought I was a regular member and we were on splits. But I doubt it.

We volunteer at the botanical gardens with these old guys named John and Bob and I told them I was from Maryland and they asked if I'd ever heard of Silver Spring and I said "um, yeah! That's where I'm from!" The botanical garden is in an area called Silver Springs (crazy) and they said that they'd wanted to call it Silver Spring Botanical Garden but they couldn't because there was already one in Maryland! So they had to call it Silver Springs, with an s. Small world!

Paul Rudd is filming Ghostbusters 3 in Calgary and one of our members tries to find him every single day. It's very entertaining. She's gotten his picture and his autograph, so good for her! And she thinks she's found his hotel. Maybe he'll want a Book of Mormon.

People keep making appointments to meet with us downtown and then not showing up, so we keep dejectedly eating timbits and cinnamon sugar pretzels before riding the train all the way back to our apartment. It's not all bad because the train is a great place to read general conference talks. Such is life, I suppose.

Scripture power! Mormon 9:15 says "And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask of you, have all these things passed, of which I have spoken? Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles."

Let's get those miracles! Have a great week! I love you!

Sister Willis


No comments:

Post a Comment